April 25, 2012

10 Things to Say When Someone is Rude to Your Special Needs Child


It happens…and you dread it. You don’t want your special needs child to ever feel ashamed of what he or she is, but there’s always a rude stranger who either doesn’t know or doesn’t care about your kid’s challenges. Here are 10 things you can say to deflect rude comments.
  1. My child has [insert special need here], and s/he deserves to be treated with respect like everyone else.
  2. I don’t believe I heard you properly. I think I’d like to keep it that way.
  3. I would appreciate it if you apologize to my child for hurting his/her feelings.
  4. I teach my son/daughter to be polite to people. Could you please rephrase that?
  5. Would you like to rethink what you just said?
  6. I hope you didn’t realize how hurtful it was to say something like that.
  7. My child has special challenges, but that’s no excuse for you to be rude.
  8. [Explain what your child's special needs are if the person seems ignorant but reasonable.]
  9. Did anyone ever tell you the world is full of people with different challenges? I guess yours is a lack of tact.
  10. Please don’t ever speak that way to my child again.
http://www.cutestkidever.org/10-things-to-say-when-someone-is-rude-to-your-special-needs-child/2911/

No comments:

Post a Comment